[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Elective Pokemon Guide - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Elective Pokemon Guide
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:50 pm 
Youngster

I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of all the pokemon you can get from your type elective courses. Tell me if I made any mistakes. Also, are you happy with the pokemon you got in your playthrough?

Fire - Litleo
Fighting - Riolu
Rock - Larvitar
Ground - Trapinch
Electric - Elekid
Bug - Venipede
Psychic - Ralts
Poison - Nidoran
Dragon - Axew
Ghost - Gastly
Dark - Sneasel
Grass - Bellsprout
Fairy - Togepi
Normal - Stufful
Steel - Aron
Flying - Pikipek
Ice - Snorunt
Water - Marill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 pm 
Delinquent

Honestly I didn't expect classes to give away such cool pokémon!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:50 am 
Rising Star

But bellsprout, why bellsprout Why not Shroomish Seedot Budew bounsweet oddish I guess bellsprout is fun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:14 pm 
Poké Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:08 am 
Poké Fan

Bellsprout (or at least Victreebell) is cool and all, but Oddish is obviously the best choice here.

I want to know if that Raltz is male or female.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:48 pm 
Rising Star

Glalie is my favorite of all time, so I'm more than happy to get a Snorunt this early.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 am 
Youngster

Long rambling post incoming, feel free to ignore

Pretty happy with most of these. Flygon is one of my favorite pokemon so I might just have to switch electives. Also really happy to see some Alolan pokemon here, especially Stufful.

A little disappointed in Litleo, but that is only because we are already locked in with Charmander. Pyroar and Charizard have very similar stats, with comparable overall bulk and just a minor difference between physical attack and speed. I think something like Darumaka, Growlithe, or Litwick would have given more variety and would have given some players thought on which fire type to bring to the tournament instead of just Charizard since it is clearly the better option when compared to Pyroar. But that might just be me not being a fan of Litleo in general and also being dead set on picking the fire and dragon electives on my first playthrough.

I actually don't remember if abilities were confirmed or not to be in this game, and I only bring it up because some pokemon like Marill and Venipede are much less useful without them. While others like Riolu, Sneasel, and Axew are just as effective without them.

Same goes with Megastones. If they aren't in the game that is totally fine. And if they are in the game, but the only one you can get is Charizite X or Y, that is also fine. But if you could get other megastones, that would definitely make certain electives have objectively better pokemon.

Pokemon gender is also something to consider as Ralts and Snorunt have evolutions that are locked behind specific genders. While it is guaranteed that Gardevior and Glalie will be in the game, it is entirely possible that Gallade and Froslass will simply be unavailable, and equally possible that the Psychic and Ice electives give the option between the two evolutions.

Lastly, I wonder if certain elective pokemon with be more difficult to train than others. Some of the teachers say that the pokemon they give you are friendly or easy to handle, while others state they are very high maintenance or even dangerous. It could be interesting to see certain scenarios take place depending on which pokemon you got.

TLDR: Really excited for things to come!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:17 pm 
Poké Fan

Quick little idea of mine; haven't seen their moves or used them in any battles, but here's a rough tier list for strengths (at least early on)

S Tier: (Will likely solo entire teams, even possibly with a type disadvantage. Will have a strong STAB move on top of fantastic stats.)
Sneasel

A Tier: (Strong pick. Likely to win you battles, maybe on it's own. Good stats and moves that play to them.)
Litleo
Elekid
Aron

B Tier: (Good, but needs a little help to succeed. Either great stats with mediocre moves or vice versa.)
Axew
Bellsprout
Stufful
Pikipek

C Tier: (Situational or inadequate strength, possibly just outclassed. Likely poor stats but acceptable moves in it's pool.)
Riolu
Larvitar
Nidoran
Ghastly
Snorunt
Marill

F Tier: (Will just be a burden, either terrible stats or moves)
Trapinch
Venipede
Ralts
Togepi

My recommended electives, then, for most powerful team are dark and steel. Given you already have a fire and electric type, there's no need to cover that base, even if litleo and elekid are two of the top tier picks. Who knows, maybe it'll be a 3 pokemon battle and I'll say drop that useless mouse for elekid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm 
Youngster

Don't think Dark/Steel is the best combination - you're going to get rolled by any decent early game fighting types. If, for say, someone you're fighting has a mankey or stufful with low kick/karate chop, sneasel/aron will go down and since charmander/pikachu aren't doing much early, it'll be tough.

My recommendation would actually be Dark/Flying (coincidentally, my 2 favorite types) for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:21 am 
Poké Fan

Disagree - if we include them, charmander is probably A tier, pikachu B. Charmander can do a fair bit, good moves, decent stats. Pikachu checks both fighting types pretty easily.

If we want to look at later game strength, I pulled some smogon stats -
OU: Tyranitar
BL: Scolipede, Weavile
UU: Nidoking, Haxorus, Gengar (Mega is ubers), Togekiss, Azumarill
BL2: Lucario (Mega is ubers)
RU: Flygon, Gardevoir (Mega is BL), Bewear
NU: Froslass,
BL4: Gallade (Mega is UU)
PU: Pyroar, Electrivire, Victreebel, Aggron (Mega is UU), Toucannon, Glalie

Anything in italics is there (mostly) because of ability - for example, speed boost on Scolipede or sheer force on Nidoking. Now, if we wanted to avoid losing to fighting types in the early game, I would actually recommend Dark and Ghost - while early game Ghastly is weak, it is immune to normal and fighting - the two move types most fighting types learn early on.

Also, in the long run, Gengar>Toucannon. And Weavile is strong the whole way through. I mean, Sneasal is NU - it tiers higher than gallade. Also, to note, without baton pass banned a few mons could potentially be more viable, but we can deal with that later.