[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
School Organized Events? - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: School Organized Events?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 am 
Delinquent

For a neat direction to take this game, it would be nice to have a Japanese Culture Festival styled event. The kind that is organized by the student council, the school is open to the public, and clubs showcase themselves or set up a stand that represents them.

So I ask you: Any ideas on this topic? Just some neat suggestions for school organized events. It can be a school tradition, organized by the student council, or organized by a club. For example, Tierno's Dance Club could host a Ball after receiving permission. Ha. Get it? The Poke....Ball?

Very fitting indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 pm 
Rising Star

That actually sounds pretty cool. Do you mean that if you decide to go with the student council that you would have some part in it? Of course this idea would take quite a bit of effort and it's all up to the writers and developers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 am 
Rising Star

That would be cool if its implemented, the days would have time limits and so you can only go to so many areas. You could can skills for each place you visit and build relationships with the people that are there. If items are in the game you could get some from each stand or place you visit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 pm 
Delinquent

Thanks for the interesting suggestions! I believe this cultural festival could also involve separate clubs working together. As one of the lead organizers of the main event (if you build a reputation among the students of the academy, that is), you can make a significant mark on how well the festival goes. Joining the student council would give you a lot of control over the festival, but you would still influence the festival's success or failure on a smaller scale as a club member. Either way, the yearly festival, a proud and prestigious tradition held by the academy since its creation, would be a huge plot point for the game; a way to bring all the students together under one cause.

In terms of club hosted events, take my previous example of Tierno's Poke-Ball. The better friendship between the two of you, especially if he is your roommate, would give you more responsibilities. You would have to make decisions such as setting the theme of the Ball, the time of day it runs, which of your club members should work at what job, etc. You could also chose to let him take care of the event, which may be a bad decision... There would be many opportunities for character development if you and your roommate have conflicts in interests or ways to organize the festival event. If you do well, the mood you set for the ball would be very convenient for a dance or date with the girl you're shooting for.

There would be hints as to what the best decisions would be. The optimal Ball theme could be determined by hearing random students' conversations or friends' suggestions, and you would need to know what kind of people your club members are before assigning them to specific positions that reflect their strengths.

One really cool choice would be whether or not you want to work together with a certain club to work towards one bigger event. Let's say you choose to work with Erika's club that manages the garden. You would have to gain the trust of her and the other members to use the garden for the ball. The Ball with a garden theme could be a major success to the festival. However, if you happen to completely wreck the garden due to poor management of the event...

If the festival goes on for a week every year, and you get to join new clubs, the large amount of routes could be reused, as to make this much more reasonable or feasible for the devs to consider. If you stick with a club for the next two years, your reputation within that club would build up, allowing you to have greater responsibility each consecutive year. If you have a good enough reputation in general, you could have a higher position at a new club you join by default.

I'd like to introduce another interesting feature: You need to compete with other clubs for attention. Each club needs to make up for the money they invest in their event. If you go way over your budget issued by the student council treasurer, be ready for a bad time. Since the festival is open to the public, you need to appeal to their demographic to receive the most attendees. Your club's reputation after the event will influence how well next year's event goes.

Anyways, let me hear your thoughts. Such a festival would be a ton of work for the devs, to which I thank for such an amazing game. Personally, I would love to lend a hand in the development of such a significant event.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:21 pm 
Poké Fan

I love it; honestly. Best development suggestion I've seen on these forums. Could tie really nicely into the student council plot line as well.

It'd be a good tool as well to advance relationships and see where you stand with other people as well. As interesting as the standpoint of your club would be; this game is more about who you interact with. Now, if you, like I assume the majority of players, picked the club because Leaf/Hilda/Serena was in it (we're all garbage I care nothing about the outdoor club), there's something about the time you spent with them while setting up, so on, so forth.

Given this game's focus is mostly your social life and interactions there in this gives a lot toward advancing gameplay, although given nearly everyone will be in two clubs (battle team/"best girl's" club) that's a lot of time and effort, so it would have to seriously advance the plot and player enjoyment. We have been told that this game does have an overarching plot; we do not know what it is, just that it is there. This could easily advance it due to the fact that it would draw a large outside influence to the school.

The fanbase, of course, will gush over the sort of fun a cultural festival would provide. No question it would be enjoyed.

What really makes me think, however, is an athletics festival. How much pokemon shenanigans (RE:memes) into a physical competition? Could also be fun. Trainer fitness is clearly important given the gym class and whatnot, so maybe it'd actually be normal.

To be fair though we don't play this for normal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm 
Delinquent

As you said, the social and dating aspect (I'm going for Leaf/Hilda/Serena too) is most certainly important in this kind of event. I merely intend to provide a template for the devs to work into the overarching story. It would be worth discussing how the dating aspect would fit into this. But first, some context.

I'd imagine that the player will spend time designing, planning, and constructing their event. If they are part of the student council, the player may be attending meetings to plan the festival as a whole. Breaks would consist of checking out the other events with a companion or two. You would still have access to all the places you go to during regular breaks (as seen in one of the recent update videos), though the backgrounds would be edited to include students setting up their event. Going to the city could allow you to discuss the festival with outsiders, learning what theme most people will be interested in. Once again, this is merely a template. It does, however, provide some much needed time to spend with friends or potential lovers. As for spending time with them within the clubs, I'll be using the outdoors club you mentioned.

Leaf and you are tasked with some duties which involve exploring a nearby forest. You may be setting up a haunted forest theme, where friends and couples brave a maze of trees at night to reach the end. Along the way, props, trainers, and their Pokemon are made to scare them (I'd love to see Leaf's Jigglypuff try to take on that role). Anyways, you two meet up past curfew (with knowledge of the consequences) to look for the scariest section of the forest at night. Despite your possible complaints, Leaf drags you along like she always does. As you sneak past lazy security guards, Leaf teases you for being so nervous, as the guards expect nobody to be lurking around; the rumors mentioned by Leaf in the game have proven to be effective enough. Once you get deep enough into the forest, you may decide to give her a taste of her own medicine. Leaf doesn't notice you sneaking away, and she is left alone in the dark. You "test out the site", or in other words, scare her to death.

Depending on how you execute this prank, Leaf's reaction could be quite varied. She could think that you're an asshole, or she could be impressed by seeing this different side of you that can compete with her flirtatious and aggressive attitude. There are a plethora of ways that the whole event could go, based on your decisions of course. You may get lost in the forest mid prank, or Leaf picks up on your attempt at a prank, scaring you instead. She may have been planning to scare you all along, as you might find if you choose not to pull the prank. On a more extreme note, there might be some nefarious activities going on in the forest, which Leaf and you could accidentally stumble into. I would personally want to see what happens between Leaf and the player in a dark forest. They're alone with only each other's company. Leaf may expose a side of herself that she hides from the public eye. She may reveal a part of her past, which has been hinted at in her character summary. Things may even get a bit steamy... I mean, anything to further develop their chemistry.

Two more things to add. First, the battle club (that most players will choose to join) won't be in the way of your second club. Either that, or it is part of a main story arc that almost everyone will go through. Other than that, it is open for outsiders to take part in a tournament, for possible students to be sighted for their potential, and for you to have a battle with that girl you met in the city at the beginning of the game. This tournament will be a great opportunity to level up your Pokemon that you have since neglected in a week-long preparation for the festivities.

Second thing to add, you won't be stuck at your event during the entire festival. You work in shifts, leaving you with a choice of people to spend time with. Some event options may be turned down by your friend. Serena may enthusiastically accept your offer to go the Ball (or other dance when you're not in Tierno's club), but Cheren could sigh and walk away, taking it as a dumb joke. As for the places that your friend or partner will accept going to, there will be no best option. Different stats could be raised in certain places, but that's it. What really matters is what situation you want to experience with your partner. How would Leaf act in a fancy ballroom? How would Hilda manage in the haunted forest maze? If you remember Leaf's hesitance to go to the pool, it makes me wonder what event the swimming club is holding, and whether she will finally put on a swimsuit. One thing is for sure, though: Brock will be there. Watching.

In any case, this is a huge section of the plot. A week of preparation, 3 days to a week of the festival, and the festival is held once a year. While this is a massive undertaking, it will surely be worth it. A lot of scenes will need to be made, from the art and music departments to the scripting and writing departments. Much of this material can be used for the next two festivals, where you simply choose routes you didn't get to see yet, but with much higher stats and responsibility.

So? How is this for an idea? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 am 
Delinquent

Just thought I should add this: Cultural festivals (文化祭 bunkasai) in Japan are annual open day events held by most schools, from nursery schools to universities at which their students display their artistic achievements. People who want to enter the school themselves (Dawn, Gold, etc) or who are interested in the school (various other pkm game characters) may come to see what the schoolwork and atmosphere are like. Parents may also want to see what kind of work their children have been doing (like Red's Mom and Bianca's Dad). Alumni (the current 2nd and 3rd years later on) often take the opportunity to visit schools they once attended. The festivals are usually open to the public, especially at high schools and universities. For kids, autumn is a time for bunkasai, or school-sponsored cultural festivals. Virtually all middle and high schools in Japan hold such festivals between late October and November. The festival is usually held on a Saturday or Sunday, and sometimes on both days (preferably a week long in the game...).

The devs did mention that they were integrating several different school systems into the academy, so this is what a normal cultural festival would be like. The game does start in April; the very same month that Japanese schools begin their first term.
The first term runs to around July 20, when summer vacation begins.
Second term goes from early September to about December 25.
The final term begins in early January and continues to late March.
This places the cultural festival near the end of the second term, which doesn't sound like a bad spot to put it. It's close to the end of the year, but still leaves space for 2nd term exams. It also conveniently fits my outdoor club festival theme, with the festival times including Halloween and all.

I'll be occasionally adding to this thread every once in a while, so feel free to contribute ideas for festival events as well.

Last edited by Protag-Kun on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:07 pm 
Poké Fan

I thought Protagonists had to be clueless about literally everything - even a basic understanding of how terms or months work.

On a serious note; I think a week for set up and one or two days for the festival seems like a fair amount of effort. I think all the clubs should be fairly involved, as the homerooms seem to large to throw things together. Were clubs compulsory in PAL? Someone will have to get back to me on that.

I think genuine ideas will have to come through after 1) someone works out whether clubs or homerooms are taking the lead on the festival (my weeb/cultural understanding level is too low to know how that typically works in Japan) and 2) if the clubs; the clubs are explored deeper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 am 
Delinquent

Really? Then... perhaps... am I really Protag-Kun!? Hold on a sec, trying to get over an identity crisis.

So your questions prompted me to do some further research. I found that:

1) The events are planned or anticipated, at most, 6 months ahead of time. This means that instead of a mad week long rush to set up an event, the process could be drawn out a little longer. The club could brainstorm and plan their event, wait for the school's acceptance of the event, and have the student council determine things like cost. This would all happen every once in awhile during club meetings for a month or two. Then there's a week devoted to actually build and set up the events. Seems a little more doable.

2) Homerooms tend to make festival events, though this is a fictional school that only takes influence from other school systems. I'm sure PAL can take some liberties such as having clubs host events instead of homerooms. I couldn't agree with you more about clubs needing to be explored deeper. The festival is certainly a way to achieve a ton of character and club development. The same applies to the student council, though they spend time planning the overall festival and approving/rejecting clubs' event ideas.

3) I think clubs are optional in PAL, though the protag will always do at least one club. There's also very few students who don't attend clubs.

4) I made some edits to my last post detailing what kinds of people (in parenthesis) would likely come to the cultural festival. Seems like a good opportunity to revisit older characters and introduce new characters that may be next year's first years (such as Dawn and Gold).

I'm actually planning doing a writing commission, so I'll be sure to do the outdoor club scenario as my first example. That alone-with-Leaf-time is essential to any man's healthy diet. Tierno's Club or some random slice of life could be the second scenario.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 am 
Poké Fan