[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Targeted Feedback (1.0.2c) - Page 3 - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:17 am 
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:52 am 
Youngster

I appreciate the quick reply there.

I understand the reason then to not do it. Small Dev team and having to rewrite the story and change the game completely would be a huge hassle.

I mostly thought if you were able to change the gender of the main character it would appeal to both parties and more gamers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:38 pm 
Delinquent

1. Each of the classes had their own charm, and I think that you did a great job at making each one feel unique. Having said this I liked the Electric and Fighting type classes were great at showing how their instructor's "unique" teaching methods , but I feel that if you made some of the other classes like them it would make them less special. My least favorite was bug type, but I still find it interesting, I feel like I would need to see what his next class looks like before I can make any real suggestions about what I think needs to be changed.

2. I think that what you currently have, is pretty well balanced, the only time I felt something was dragging on too long is after I had already read the same dialogue multiple times when I was seeing how picking different classes changed the story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 am 
Poké Fan

1. Which were your favorite type elective classes so far and why? Likewise, which ones did you not enjoy and why?
As someone who has watched Full Metal Jacket multiple times, spent 3 years in JROTC, and spent some time in the Navy. Lt. Surge's class calls to me. Not to mention Raichu being the best Pokemon. Plus I now cosplay as Surge, with a Raichu, so even more biased. I still have to explore Normal and Fairy electives, but the other classes so far have been great. I do have to say I was kind of disappointed in how much Flannery sleeps, but with the amount of energy she puts out during the times she is awake, makes some degree of sense. Also the scene with Sabrina if you choose both Ghost and Psychic is pretty entertaining.

2. Which parts of the visual novel do you think were too long/boring? Likewise, which parts did you think were too short (no, "the entire demo" doesn't count!).
I feel like the orientation takes a bit, but that might just be the case of me replaying it multiple times, and it being the same each play through. Also while it's not boring I noticed that choosing between Brendan/Tierno and Cheren/Calem resulted in very different choices for clubs, also the inclusion of Student Council for Cheren/Calem, during the lunch scene and was wondering if you had full access clubs regardless of your roommate choice. Also will there be more clubs than those listened, such as swimming so I can get in with Misty /wink.

Side-note: There is scene between choosing your electives and the start of the first day where the entire screen is black, and while it is just another click to advance. I got up after getting choosing my electives and expected to be the calendar screen when I got back, but it was just a black screen so I thought I had some how crashed it. Obviously clicking fixed it, but it seemed kind of odd to have that screen. I know it might just be a coding device to make things easier on your part. I've done some Python coding in the past, so I know sometimes things need to be done a certain way.

Also does choosing electives in different order actually effect anything in game. I haven't noticed a difference, but I was wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:19 pm 
Rising Star

1) I felt like the majority of the electives did an amazing job of setting up a unique tone, and most of the teachers were given a personality that drew you in. I found myself thoroughly enjoying classes in types I usually didn't bother with.

That said, some of my favorites were ground, fighting, grass, and then psychic and ghost paired together. I enjoyed ground the most, because the combination of characters in there is wonderful, and Bertha made the class feel so welcoming. I loved seeing Marshal-sensei; his weeaboo character and the way the others interact with him makes that class a riot. Grass, because of "Oh, Shuckles." Psychic and ghost were hilarious to see Red out of his element, and Sabrina is primed to be an interesting character.

Rock and steel were both bland teachers in comparison to the others, but they definitely fit thematically. The only class I had a real beef with was bug. From start to finish, it just never held my interest, and Burgh seemed sort of droll.

2) As far as slow parts go, the introduction dragged on some. I felt like I talked to that tour guide for ages. I also find it kind of odd that Red would be on a bus with a bunch of people going to a new school and not have any conversations. It would be a good way of introducing a character or two and taking Red out of his head a bit at the beginning. Also, it would make the exposition spread out some more, rather than simply having the tour guide dump most of it at once. Otherwise, I think the pacing is pretty solid.

I love what you guys are doing here, and I hope that you keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:54 pm 
Poké Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:18 am 
Youngster

My favorite classes were flying due to Skyla and Ice becaue of me being in a class with Hilbert.

What I didn't like was the lack of character cards. We only got cards for a few characters. Not our teachers or fellow students such as Skyla, Hilbert, Misty, or Gardenia. I understand if we cannot universally keep our cards through I would like to see card of our classmates.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:47 am 
Poké Fan

1. Hard to pick any favourite classes, as I pretty much enjoyed all of them for what they were. I will say, it would have been nice to get a bit of a clue of what the electives would entail before picking them. The game repeatedly says "this is an important choice!" then just goes "now choose!" I feel like there should have been a pamphlet, conversation, or something giving a quick description of what each elective will be like, maybe who the teachers are, but not the classmates of course. Trevor assigning personality types to the types was a nice touch, but maybe could also have been before actually making the choice?

For example, I first picked Fire and Psychic because I use those types the most in the games without really thinking much of it and wasn't really expecting to start being told to learn ESP. In retrospect it makes perfect sense given how psychic-type trainers usually are in the games, but it's not for me and would have been unfortunate if I were stuck with it all game. I will probably go Fire/Normal in the full version, though it's tempting to just meta-pick types for the classmates! I wish we could take, like, six electives!

2. I didn't find any of it to be too long, I was suprisingly hooked from the get-go. I wasn't really expecting too much from this game but I've been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of writing and the depth of choices you've provided.

As for too short, I've mentioned above how unprepared the player is when they have to pick their electives already. That and hanging out with Leaf at the end of the day seemed short as well, but that may just be because she's my favourite character so far, and I grant she got plenty of screentime for that day anyway. :P

Keep up the good work, and I sincerely hope to see you make it to the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:08 am 
Youngster

Dragon and Electric.

Dragon has Shauna and Blue. I like Shauna's energy and Blue's banter. The Dragon Class teacher is pretty strict, which will probably be fun to watch when the game is done.
(And that Dragon is my favorite type, so...)

Electric has Tierno and Leaf. Leaf's my favorite character, and Tierno is really cool. The Electric Class teacher is probably the best one, with his army style of teaching and talking.

While I don't remember all the details, Steel was probably my least favorite of the class. As I said, I don't remember too many of the details, so I can't really explain why. Though, I still like it.

I hope to see more content soon, but if you don't wanna add any more until the final game, that's okay too.