[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Voice Acting? - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Voice Acting?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:05 am 
Youngster

I was wondering if you ever wanted to add voice acting and if that's ever a possibility, or does that ruin the whole aesthetic of it being pokemon esque :?:

Post subject: Re: Voice Acting?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:31 am 
Delinquent

It's strange enough to have red speaking. Perhaps we should hold off on giving him a voice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:53 pm 
Youngster

I'd say the problem with this is the fact that the game is already a large amount of work and it would take time to find a fitting VA for every character.
It would auditions, reviewing, voicing a good chunk of dialogue, then entering it into the game.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that most of us would prefer them to get out more of the game at the quality its been at, rather than try to add another element and as a result slowing down production or keeping at the same speed but with reduced quality.
It might be worth looking into after the full game has been released, but as it is, VA isn't really needed nor do we want it if it's just going to throw a wrench into things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 am 
Youngster

I don't know how much the project is costing to be made as it is. Art, writing, etc. If it's all being done free on a volunteer basis, that's great. Assuming that, it would be hard to find quality voice actors to do a large undertaking like this for free. If it's not being done without compensating the people involved, then that's different. On top of complicating the production and prolonging it, it would also add a pretty hefty cost.

Besides that, I don't know about anyone else, but I like to put as much of my own imagination into reading novels as I can. With the visuals being taken care of in the cases of VNs, that just leaves the voices. I haven't seen a Pokemon show since I was a kid, so that kind of eliminates having a real grasp of what these characters sound like now, let alone then. I like it this way. I turn off audio on most of the games I play, especially VNs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:22 am 
Youngster

Personally voice acting does kinda ruin it because text from Pokemon is like a tradition every game they just put text. But really its up to the devs because they may be on a budget of making this game :/ and they probably want to get the full game out the the public as a fast as they can!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:49 am 
Staff Writer

Voice acting is an impossibility. Even if you ignore the fact that most fan voice actors aren't very good, if we did find some ones that were on par or close to professional voice actors, we'd have to pay them a ridiculous amount of money because of how many lines are in this game.

Seriously, think of all the lines in this game. And we haven't even scratched the surface. As of the latest demo we've done one week of gameplay. Out of three years.

The absolute BEST it would be possible to hope for is Danganronpa style voice clips just playing and being vaguely matched to the context of the line, but that's still completely unnecessary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 am 
Delinquent

I can't be sure but given the many different choice paths that the player can take, I'm willing to bet that all the dialogue and monologue pieces together exceed the standard word count of a decent novel.

Trying to hire voice actors for such a task is improbable, both between costs and time constraints. If you want to see this game worked on into the next decade - it would not be a good idea to explore.

There is also the fact of the matter that voice acting is not present in most visual novels, and especially not in visual novels of this scale since most said projects don't exceed more than a few game days' worth of material.

This is three in-game years. It would be a nightmare to verbalize into a working audio book of some sort.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:54 am 
Delinquent

Voice acting isn't happening.
Why? Because quality VAs won't work for free.
There is no way in hell non-quality VAs will be hired for this.
Free ones won't cut it.
It could happen after the games done, but it's never gonna happen until then.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable