[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
SPOILER!: Pokemon you get on electives. - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC

From the Pokemon you get on your electives, what are your opinions on what Pokemon you should get?
- Leave the Pokemon as they are 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
- Be able to choose as long as it's a primary evolution (& type) 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
- Make a test beforehand and get a different Pokemon on choices 52%  52%  [ 17 ]
Total votes: 33
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 am 
Youngster

So I'm actually surprised that you get Pokemon from the electives and as an Ice type lover, I thought it was cool because I happen to love Glaceon as an Ice type and I thought once the game was developed enough, you could maybe do something about certain Pokemon and the electives, for example bonus points for having the same type Pokemon in your elective classes/events (I chose Ice & Electric as electives). Okay, I got Snorunt which to be honest, I was kind of happy since I like one of its evolutionary Pokemon, Froslass. On Electric type, I got Elekid. Wasn't expecting such Pokemon since I was expecting maybe something more common by regions, maybe along the lines of:

Kanto: Voltorb, Pikachu (I realized another Pikachu would be a bit dumb to be honest)
Johto: Mareep, Pichu, Elekid (again, I realized Pichu would also be dumb, but I was thinking only types and more common instead of mix types like Chinchou, etc.)
Hoenn: Electrike, Plusle, Minum
Sinnoh: Shinx, Pachirisu
Unova: Blitzle, Tynamo

I obviously left out the mix type Pokemon since they "shouldn't apply" at the start since they would focus on the Type itself, Primary Evolutions or they wouldn't evolve. Now, I did replay the electives to see if I got an Eevee in the Normal type elective. I got Stufful. Well damn I was a bit on the disappointed on one side since I thought it would be an obvious, but more common sense option but also I did dig the 'mixing it up' with something no one would expect (and also that it has a secondary type, fighting) but I think I'm not the only one wanting and expecting to see an Eevee at least (Maybe the Shiny Eevee that Leaf came up as an excuse from the start of the semester would be an option? *Wink wink* ).

I will leave a poll to see what people might think of the Pokemon Elective & to see if they would either let it be the way it is or suggest changes. (Myself I'm liking the 'Personality Test' idea, like in "Pokemon Dungeon Explorers!" but during the Introduction to the respected elective types, for example going to the Normal elective and during your introduction getting a "Personality test" of sorts so- Okay, I think you guys get the idea and know I like it)

Anyways, let me know through the poll or even on posts what you think of it, I know it will be a hassle when it comes to coding since it would be like a ColorCode Test or adding different functions, but it would be good to know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:20 am 
Delinquent

I honestly love the idea of receiving your Pokemon through personality tests. Unlike Pikachu and Charmander, the elective Pokemon don't appear to have much of a role in the story, though I could be wrong. I'd appreciate it if anyone viewing this thread could identify what Pokemon they got for their electives. I personally got Elekid for electric and Bellsprout (slightly disappointed) for grass.

Edit: I looked at the Pokemon Visual channel and in one part of their most recent video, they have all of the elective Pokemon in silhouettes: Ralts, Trapinch, Riolu, Axew, Pikipek, Nidoran♂, Gastly, Marill, Elekid, Bellsprout, Togepi, Sneasel, Larvitar, Aron, Snorunt, Venipede, Litleo, Stufful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:03 am 
Poké Fan

The elective Pokémon just made it even harder to pick what electives I want for my first playthrough.

Regarding Eevee I'm more than willing to bet that we'll get one someway or another through the story regardless of elective. I would have been shocked if Eevee was constrained to the Normal-type elective.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 am 
Youngster

I'd love to be able to secure a Riolu for my party. Lucario is tied for 1st as one of my favourites (the other being Pikachu).

If a Fighting-type Elective could let me get one for saying, say, "Variety of the stats allows for greater variety with the moves compared to focused stats...", since Lucario have a near equal Attack and Sp. Attack (110Atk, 115 SpA), albeit Riolu has a greater Attack stat, then I'd be thrilled to be able to raise one.

At the same time, one should be able to secure a different Pokémon if they want one, like a Tyrogue, who I would imagine would come from the same answer above, but followed up with "..though a trainer should be capable to utilize any stats that come with their partners...."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm 
Rising Star

Don't you dare trying to take my Snorunt away from me

It would be cool to choose between 2 or 3 pokemon, or get them based on your test results, I will just reload as often as I have to, to get my Snorunt.

It was kind of weird for me to get my second pokemon a Sneasel, since I already have an Ice type and Sneasel fits both my elective classes. I expected the pokemon you get to be a single type and not mixed, but I won't complain. The more ice the cooler

Also a fan of Ice types

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm 
Youngster

Question, Gastly has levitate or curse body?

Also, i think pokemon you should stay how they are. Why? Because what you get being determined by test doesn't make sense, just like with Charmander you get them randomly in context of the story. If you want other pokemon, that's what random battles are for. Sorry for grammar, it's not native language for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 am 
Delinquent

I think the one thing you guys are ignoring is the difficulty to code that kind of stuff.
I don't disagree that it would be cool to have different Pokemon dependent on your choices for electives, but because of how important elective Pokemon are planned to be, it's just wayyyyyy too much work to code that shit. Each elective Pokemon has special things and stuff planned that fit for that Pokemon, meaning we would need to write and code brand new shit for other Pokemon. It would make things way harder on our end, and you wouldn't see PAL finished for another 3 years added on to the time we already think the game will be completed by. I agree the idea would be cool but it's seriously not worth it on our end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 am 
Delinquent

As I wrote in my previous post, the elective pokemon didn't seem as important to the story, though I could be wrong. To be honest, I wanted to be wrong because I'm really excited to see just how relevant they would be to the story. I'm already psyched to face Lance with the very same Pikachu he insulted. This is a Pokemon game, so I would be disappointed if my team didn't have a role in the story besides winning battles. It always pissed me off as a kid when I was walking around with Arceus in HGSS and every npc remained unfazed. I hope PAL does this some justice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm 
Poké Fan

The only reason I'd use pikachu is out of spite. I want every option to not use it; anything other than alolan raichu is ass and even that is pretty mediocre. All praise elekid, stuff pikachu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:28 pm 
Youngster

I would rather say that some pokemon in elective need to be changed, although probably story is written around them already but still. For Ice type i'd say Swinub would be a better option since it's a 3 stage evolution and it growing in size could symbolize how strong it and Red became. Also Staraptor would be a better choice for Flying type elective since there is no pure gen 4 Pokemon given as gift while other gens are covered. Kinda unfair.