[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
The cannon type elective combination. - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:34 am 
Youngster

Been thinking for a while about what the "cannon" type combination would be for the main character, or at least what the creators think it would be. Here are my thoughts:

FIRE

I think that the combination in some way features the fire type. The types seem to be based off of a combination of in-game references, anime references, references from characters in the Red manga, the characters signature poke, and personality traits. With that being said, fire checks a ton of these boxes. Our starter pokemon is a charizard. Ash's strongest pokemon in the games is a charizard. It would put us as a natural disadvantage with Blue, which fits all the traditions. It creates a trio with Blue, Leaf, and Red. Seems to all fit.

Only thing going against this theory is that it would make the fire type elective even more crowded compared to the others.

NORMAL The biggest reason to think this could be the secondary typing is because that as the player, you are considered the ultimate neutral amongst all the personalities around you. At the beginning of the game you're a blank page, Red also fits the personality of a normal type trainer in the game, given that he never talks and has no flashy features.

ELECTRIC This one is pretty obvious. The relationship between the main character and pikachu is well documented. Would make sense for him to be an electric trainer.

DRAGON This type makes sense as a personality match, Seeing as it's hinted in the demo that the main character has great untapped potential as a trainer. It also fits plot wise as a link that connects Red and Blue throughout the game. Finally Charizard's mega evolution makes it a fire dragon type, matching the two types Red would be.

GRASS Last and probably least likely of these but in the anime Red's primary pokemon becomes the bulbasaur line, so there is a link there.

So right now I think the typing is Fire and Dragon, but I wanted to post this to hear what other people think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:13 am 
Poké Fan

I'll be doing Fire/Normal for my own reasons, but I think it would be a theoretical canon combo as well. I'm picking them because they match me best (I considered Psychic but I'm not into the ESP aspect).

The reasons you gave for both pretty much sum up why I think it would make sense for Red.

I disagree with Dragon, however. Dragon is much more up Blue's alley, with the focus on raw power, while Red has always been about bonding with Pokémon and growing strong that way. There's nothing wrong with Dragon itself, of course, but to me it feels like picking Dragon is kind of declaring an intent to become a strong trainer. I don't picture that as Red's primary motivation. It's there, obviously, as he does become Champion, but it's not something he focusses on.

I wonder what someone who has read the manga would say.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:09 pm 
Delinquent

As someone who has Red the original Red and Blue PokeSpe's, It's still hard as heck to try to find a clear second answer. 'Cause, Technically, he first got a poliwhirl, then a bulbasaur, and he never really had a clear preference of type. In fact, the Red from Red and Blue didn't use a fire-type in the manga. I don't disagree with the Normal notion, though.

I personally chose Fire/Ice , because of my own preferences

(And yes, that pun was intentional.)

(Also, Don't quote me on any of this.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:58 pm 
Staff Writer

Most of the in-game elective choices are just based on what Pokemon the trainer has. For Red I think 'canonically' it'd be Fire/Electric.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:27 pm 
Youngster

That would mean it would be FIRE FLYING. Which I forgot to mention. But really other than charizarss typing doesn't lend itself to being that.

I picked Fire/Steel. Tried to combine the most likely type of red with my favorite type

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:30 am 
Delinquent

I'm leaning to believing fire/electric is the canon combo.

Or there isn't a canon lol. That's probably most likely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:19 pm 
Delinquent

I also thought of this and if there would be a canon then yea probably

Fire/Electric or Electric/Dragon

Other options
Grass/Water
something/Normal
something/Psychic(nod to Mewtwo)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable