[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Thoughts on the new update trailer - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm 
Youngster

Hey there, I've been a lurker on the forums for a while now, and since today's new trailer has got me excited, I decided to post a topic here to discuss it.

As we all know, there were 3 major things showcased today. The things that most people were expecting were an improved battle system and the implementation of catching, and those things were really cool to see. What I'm sure no one saw coming, though, was the introduction of double battles. I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. I think double battles can be fun, but only if used sparingly (or if the game is built around them like Colosseum and XD.) I don't see a reason to be nervous, though, as long as the devs are smart about how they use doubles.

The other thing I wanted to comment on was the "new art style" if you can call it that. Some of the characters have a different look to them, namely May and Leaf. Personally I'm not a fan of this change. I think they looked much better 1.0.3. Particularly May, who...if I'm being blunt, this new look did not appeal to me at all. I think the colors in general have been made brighter as well, but that might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

This has been a mostly negative post, but I really don't want to give the wrong impression. I've very excited for where this game is headed! Other than the new art I really have no complaints. I've always been impressed with how ambitious this game is, and the devs really deserve a lot of credit for what they're doing. I know it's easy to get impatient as updates take literal decades to come out, but it's understandable and always worth the wait. Keep up the good work!

What were your guy's thoughts on today's trailer?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 am 
Staff Writer

Objectively any new character models are better, though it's your personal preference if you prefer the old ones. Someone on the team prefers the old May, for instance. You'll get used to it. The colours are definitely brighter, and this is mainly a result of our artist getting better at highlights and such. Soon you'll be able to see the new Gardenia or Sabrina which have pretty much the same pose, but are just touched up and look MUCH nicer with more vibrant colours.

Anyway, as a writer, a couple of lines of dialogue I wrote were in the trailer so I'm pretty excited to see you guys react to the full thing. This'll be my demo debut for the team.

The battle system is so much nicer. Steve has done such a great job. Apart from the battles with Blue, the double battle, and the Pokemon catching, there may yet be another battle or two in the next demo, if you can find them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 pm 
Rising Star

so wait does this mean 1.04 is coming out sorry I stopped after the battle with blue to prevent spoilers idk if the demo date was on the trailer or not but Just wondering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 am 
Youngster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 pm 
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:23 am 
Poké Fan

I saw the new battle system and basically frothed. I agree with B-Law that doubles should be used sparingly (only because I'm a filthy singles purist) but the fact you've got them finished already - Christ on a bike, mate, that's beyond fantastic. I'm not sure if brighter colours always means better but for this style of game and the tone of it it makes sense.

My only real source of anger comes from Hilbert not wanting to weaken the pawniard further when it had more than sufficient hit points to even survive a crit from tackle and therefore weakening it further would have possessed no risks and allowed better odds of a capture without wasting pokeballs. This is an unacceptable way to treat our lord and savoir (unless it's all part of his ploy to blend in in which case I salute your good work).

In all seriousness I am now very keen for the next update. Keep up the great work guys!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:06 am 
Poké Fan

It looked like you were able to control Leaf's Bulbasaur, which seems a bit weird to me. I welcome the addition of double battles though. In a game about developing relationships among characters it makes a lot of sense, so I hope to see used to enhance immersion in that regard.

It's also nice to see Bubble actually working. :P

Since it was brought up, I'm a bit wonkey on the new character art as well. I recognize that the technical quality is improved but I feel like the poses they're being drawn in is less appealing. I find Whitney's and now May's new pose particularly unappealing. Then again, what I've seen of Serena looks like a straight improvement. I probably just prefer more neutral poses.

I don't really follow the artist very closely (not one for streams or social media), but it'd be nice to see progress updates such as before and afters posted here. Maybe all the action just takes place elsewhere...

But I digress. This is a pretty big milestone you've reached, and though there's still a long road ahead, I don't feel like the project's completion is completely hopeless anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:33 pm 
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 pm 
Poké Fan

Yeah, from what I've seen in the new trailer, I'm really impressed with how the battle system is coming together. Seeing double battles there was a nice treat as well. Great work on that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable